Friday, August 5, 2011

Help out where you can.

So, sadly, in todays society not many people are willing, or able, to help other people. Today I came across one Facebook business page that is trying to help a local family via an auction she has on her page. The first thing I did was to bid on items. Second, I posted the link on my own business page, There for You. Now, I'm taking it to the next level and blogging about it in hopes of helping in any way I can. I emailed them to try and get the back story and I got an immediate response from Amy, and this is it, in her own words: Yes the fundraising is being done for my sister and brother-in-law. Basically, my brother-in-law, Steve, developed a really bad infection which progressed to sepsis. He is currently in the ICU at Johns Hopkins. He was the major bread winner of the family so this is a huge loss to the family.They have one child, my niece, who is 7. The drive for my sister to see him is about 3.5 hours each way. Their car broke down the first night so its been a scary road. They do not have cellphones but, thankfully, a group of her friends put together a fundraising page on facebook and they were able to get a prepaid phone for her to use while traveling to and from the hospital. Steve will have several more surgeries. The last update I received is that he is stable but still on a ventilator and had another surgery today. I think that makes the total surgeries 4 thus far. I’m not sure how many more he will be facing or how long he will be in Baltimore. They live on the Eastern Shore of MD – which is a hefty drive, so hopefully they will be able to transfer him to a local hospital eventually.

The link to the community page is:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/199075286814292/

That may help with more information too. I’ve not talked to my sister recently so I don’t know a status for today yet but she updates via the community page when she is able to. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks so much for your offer to help, we appreciate that!

Amy


Let's all take the time to go to the community page, or Bentley's Bands at: http://www.facebook.com/BentleysBands

to bid on auction items. Helping just one person, or in this case a family, can make you feel good, not to mention the family who will know others care for them.

With <3 Melissa

1 comment:

  1. If you are on the shore next weekend, we are having a coin drive on the 'strip' in Crisfield on Friday night, 8/12, 3 pm - 9 pm and Saturday morning, 8/13, 8 am - 2 pm. Just drive by and toss in your pocket change to help these folks.
    for info call 443.235.4488
    Thanks,
    Barb Gregory

    ReplyDelete